Re: st: simple calculations across rows

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: simple calculations across rows
Date   Mon, 16 Jul 2012 15:58:33 +0100

Better to say you are a beginning user, as you have not yet learned
how to spell "Stata"!!!

That detail aside, you can do things like this:

egen mean_1 = mean(measure / (day == 1 & inrange(period, 3, 4))), by(id)
egen mean_2 = mean(measure / (day == 2 & inrange(period, 3, 4))), by(id)

egen tag = tag(id)

scatter mean_2 mean_1 if tag

On the first device, note that an expression like

(day == 1 & inrange(period, 3, 4))

is 1 when true and 0 when false; correspondingly

measure / expression is measure when expression is 1 and missing (and
so ignored) when expression is 0. For more, see

Cox, N.J. 2011. Speaking Stata: Compared with ...Stata Journal 11(2): 305-314

Note that tagging is necessary to avoid each summary being used 12 times.

Nick