Re: st: Can the viewer window be rendered by Firefox instead? And other speech recognition tips

From   "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Can the viewer window be rendered by Firefox instead? And other speech recognition tips
Date   Thu, 12 Jul 2012 07:58:48 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you very much for this tip Alan, it is extremely
helpful. You are correct, I still use version 11.

I have not seen the new "Also See" drop-down menu in the
new version of Stata. In general, such a change,
albeit very small, can make life very difficult for
speech recognition users. Speech recognition interfaces
are good at navigating links (in Firefox only),
switching windows, and moving up and down pages. However,
it is much more cumbersome with speech recognition
to simulate clicking a particular location, so moving
a link to a menu can complicate things.

To the extent that it's possible, it would be great
if you can continue maintaining the "also see" section
as a collection of links in the bottom of the help page
for version 12 as well as future versions.

Finally, to the extent that Stata would like feedback
regarding the use of the software by people with disabilities
(such as RSI) which necessitate the use of speech recognition,
please fill free to contact me and I would be happy
to review and test things.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 15:24:06 -0500
> From: Alan Riley <[email protected]>
> Subject: Re: st: Can the viewer window be rendered by Firefox instead? And other speech > recognition tips
>
> [email protected] (pawstats) is interested in viewing Stata's help
> files in a web browser.  Maarten Buis ([email protected])
> recommended the HTML version of Stata's help files available from
> www.stata.com:
>
>   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?<command_name>, e.g.
>   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?regress
>
> But, pawstats comments that the "also see" entries from the help files
> do not show up in the HTML version of the help files mentioned above.
> See their full discussion below my signature.
>
> pawstats is right.  As of Stata 12, the "also see" entries are
> now available in Stata's Viewer via an "Also See" drop-down on
> the Viewer's toolbar.  This same drop-down is not available in
> web browsers.  We will work on adding a way for the "also see"
> entries to appear in the HTML versions of the help files on
> www.stata.com.
>
> In the meantime, it appears that pawstats is using Stata 11,
> because the "also see" entry posted as an example appears to
be from a Stata 11 help file.  The Stata 11 help files are