st: Using Sampling weights (pweights) in regression analysis

From   Fatih Yilmaz <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Using Sampling weights (pweights) in regression analysis
Date   Thu, 12 Jul 2012 07:21:04 -0600

Dear Statalist,

I am having trouble with using sampling weights in my simple regression analysis.

Here is the story:

The survey data I have is not representative, where some groups were deliberately over or under-sampled.
    The weights I was provided ara computed as follows:

For group one (strata), population weight is 60%
         				  sample weight is 40%
					Final Pweight = 60%/40%=1.5

My questions:

1- I needed to drop some of the observations from the survey data: outliers, missings obs and also unrelated data.
    so, can I still use the old (initial) weights or do I have to re-weight the data with respect to the dropped observations?
    Or how problematic could it be to use old weights?

2- Since, my weights were computed as w=(pop%)/(sample%) (in general, some other researchers may compute them as w=(sample%)/(pop%) ),
when I estimate weighted OLS should I use "reg y x [pw=1/w]" or  ""reg y x [pw=w]".

Could you pls also recommend some resources on sampling weights and regression analysis (preferably practical sources ),

Thanks very much

Fatih Yilmaz