st: making a variable that count number of certain scores in answer categories

From   Morten Støver <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: making a variable that count number of certain scores in answer categories
Date   Wed, 04 Jul 2012 12:14:52 +0200

Im writing an article about work environment and disability pension. I have questions about work environment with three answer categories where “3” is for people who experience the worst work environment. I'm also trying to make an aggregated score, and would like a variable where I count how many scores on “3” each person have. There is probably a very simple solution to this, but I’m not sure how to code this in Stata.

Let's say John has a friendly work environment and scores: 1,2,1,2,1,2,3,1,3 =John gets an aggregated score of 2 Pete has a poor work environment and scores: 2,3,3,3,2,3,2,3 =Pete gets an aggregated score of 5

Help is much appreciated.

--
Morten Støver
PhD research fellow