Re: st: Looping with the tin() function

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Looping with the tin() function
Date   Sun, 1 Jul 2012 10:23:32 +0100

Points of general note include:

1. References on Statalist are like references everywhere else.
Journal title, volume number, page numbers do no harm and their
absence is lack of information.

2. We can't access your data on your c: drive; it is much better to
replicate a problem with a mutually accessible dataset.

3. You give specific code (good) but don't say what the specific
problem with that code is. We can't comment easily on other problems
that occur with other code that you don't give us.

4. If you want the minimum or the mean, don't use -egen- to put the
constant result in a variable. Use the results from -summarize-. (This
is a style point.)

      su AIC, meanonly
      gen opt_lag_aic = lag if AIC == r(min)
      su opt_lag_aic, meanonly
      scalar aic_lag = r(mean)

5. You should explain where user-written programs you refer to come
from. (-eststo-, -esttab-).

I don't follow your general aim -- I rarely do time series forecasting
--- but if all else fails, you can evaluate scalars on the fly (as you
did for your -forvalues- loop, so that -tin()- sees their values, not
their names, and you can use -inrange()- as an alternative to -tin()-.

. set obs 10
. gen t = _n
. tsset t
. scalar foo1 = 4