Re: st: Need Help Recoding a variable -Dealing with string expression

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Need Help Recoding a variable -Dealing with string expression
Date   Thu, 21 Jun 2012 08:28:28 +0100

Stata's own -search- command  (recommended in the Statalist FAQ) with
the text -regular expressions- answers your second question. Among
other sources, it points to

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Regular expressions
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . K. S. Turner
        10/05   What are regular expressions and how can I use
                them in Stata?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/regex.html

FAQ     . How to extract a portion of a string var. using regular expressions?
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  UCLA Academic Technology Services
        7/08    http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/faq/regex.htm

Your first question is less clear to me, but have a look at

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  True and false in Stata
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  N. J. Cox
        2/03    What is true and false in Stata?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/trueorfalse.html

The syntax recommended was based on a short-cut, the fact that

if strpos(strvar, "<")  >  0

and

if strpos(strvar, "<")

_in this kind of problem_ are treated in the same way. The FAQ spells
out why, but in a clause: in any context where Stata needs the answer
to a true or false question, non-zero is treated as true and only zero
is treated as false.

Nick