RE: st: Randomly change a date in Stata

From   Tim Evans <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Randomly change a date in Stata
Date   Tue, 19 Jun 2012 13:41:00 +0100

Hi Maarten,

Thanks for your comment - an amateurish oversight of mine - I didn't realise that you had to set the seed for each command - I assumed it was for each session!

Best wishes

Tim

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Maarten Buis
Sent: 19 June 2012 12:55
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Randomly change a date in Stata

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Tim Evans wrote:
> If I use the following, I don't actually manage to re-create the same date:
>
> set seed 339487731
> gen date7 = datediag + ceil(11 * runiform()) - 6
> gen date8 = datediag + ceil(11 * runiform()) - 6
>
> The dates are different - do you know why this may be?

You will get the same dates when you precede the command with the same seed:

set seed 339487731
gen date7 = datediag + ceil(11 * runiform()) - 6
set seed 339487731
gen date8 = datediag + ceil(11 * runiform()) - 6

-- Maarten

--------------------------
Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie
Universitaet Tuebingen
Wilhelmstrasse 36
72074 Tuebingen
Germany

http://www.maartenbuis.nl

_DISCLAIMER:
This email and any attachments hereto contains proprietary information, some or all of which may be confidential or legally privileged. It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s) only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail and you are not the intended recipient(s), please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print, or rely on this e-mail or any attachments, as this may be unlawful.