re: st: Re: Propensity Score Matching

From   "Ariel Linden. DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: st: Re: Propensity Score Matching
Date   Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:50:52 -0400

I didn't see a posting by Austin, so I am not sure what advice was dispensed
after my posting.

In -psmatch2- (a user written program: -findit psmatch2-) the _weight
variable is indeed a type of "frequency weight" when you are using a 1:k
matching algorithm. If you have 1:1, then every matched treated and control
will receive a weight of 1. If there are 4 controls for each 1 treated, then
each control will receive a weight of .25 and the treated will equal 1.

You do not need to use the weight in the outcome model in an 1:1 matching
scenario, you'd simply use: regress y x if _weight==1

As you correctly noted, when you have multiple controls you will need to use
the _weight as a weight in the model: regress y x [pw=_weight], vce(robust)

Using kernel weighting will provide a different type of weight, which is not
directly comparable to the frequency weight in 1:k matching. The question is
what you are trying to achieve.

I hope this helps

Ariel