RE: st: RE: Insheet Command Problem

From   "Sarah Edgington" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Insheet Command Problem
Date   Thu, 14 Jun 2012 16:39:00 -0700

Davia,
I don't know what you mean by "use the drop command with insheet."  There is
not a drop option with -insheet- if that's what you're asking (type -help
insheet- to see what options you can specify).  You can use the -drop-
command after insheet, but that won't help you if you can't read the whole
file.

Stat Transfer might be your ideal option here.  It will let you read a
delimited file and output a subset of the variables as a Stata file.

However, you again do not specify the actual error messages you receive.
Are you actually getting a no room to add more variables error or is Stata
telling you something else?  There are a lot of things that can go wrong in
creating a comma-delimited file so I would not automatically assume without
reading the error message that memory is the problem.  I'd be really
surprised if you couldn't -insheet- a 1.2MB file unless something else is
wrong with it.  You initially said the dataset was more than 500MB and that
I could see causing problems.  Raw text files are smaller than Stata files
so it's no surprise that you need more memory than the size the .csv file
takes up on disk, no matter what that size may be.

Additionally, you should note in the FAQ that you are requested to specify
what version of Stata you're using if not the current version.  Set memory
is no longer necessary in Stata 12 so I assume you must be using an earlier
version.

Hope that helps.

-Sarah