Re: st: mi passive - When is it executed?

From   daniel klein <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: mi passive - When is it executed?
Date   Tue, 12 Jun 2012 01:42:45 +0200

Isaac,

I might be wrong here, but I think your syntax does not what you want it to do.

First, I understand you want to do passive imputation (Royston, 2005).
That is, you do not want to create age squared (and higher order
terms) in your dataset, and impute these variables as "just another
variable" (Von Hippel, 2009). Yet, I think your code is closer to the
latter approach. It generates three passive variables, and does so
once only. The variables are created before the imputation algorithm
starts.

The way I understand the documentation of -mi passive-, you want to
use it after you have imputed your variables. Performing passive
impuations with -mi impute chained-, I guess you want to change the
line

mi impute chained (reg) ageimp (reg, include(age2imp age3imp age4imp)
lnearnimp [...]

to something like

mi impute chained (reg) ageimp (reg,
include((ageimp^2)(ageimp^3)(ageimp^4))) lnearnimp [...]

Also see [MI] Example 6, pp. 156.

Others might have a deeper understanding.

Best
Daniel

Royston, P. (2005). Multiple imputation of missing values: update.
Stata Journal 5 (2), 188-201.

Von Hippel, P. T. (2009). How to impute interactions, squares, and
other transformed variables. Sociological Methodology 39, 265–291.

--
I am wondering when, during the imputation step, Stata actually
generates a passive variable. I am currently using Stata 12's "mi

A much-abbreviated version of the code I have a question about goes as follows:

mi set wide
mi register: ageimp lnearnimp
mi passive: gen age2imp = ageimp*ageimp
mi passive: gen age3imp = age2imp*ageimp
mi passive: gen age4imp = age3imp*ageimp
mi impute chained (reg) ageimp (reg, include(age2imp age3imp age4imp)
lnearnimp, [some options here] add(10)