Re: st: m:m merge using zip codes

Subject   Re: st: m:m merge using zip codes
Date   Mon, 11 Jun 2012 12:02:30 -0400

Bryan Stuart <[email protected]>:
Better to use exact lat/lon and compute a weighted average over Census
blocks/tracts/whatever.  There is nothing special about a zip code
boundary in defining the neighborhood of a prison, right?  See also
page 55 of http://www.nber.org/papers/w13246.pdf

To compute weighted averages, you can use an unmatched merge e.g.
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2007-01/msg00098.html
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-07/msg00261.html
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-09/msg00473.html
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2009-09/msg00493.html
http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2011-06/msg00585.html
or do the same thing in Mata (each dataset a matrix), which is faster.