RE: st: imputing dates into a string date

From   Tim Evans <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: imputing dates into a string date
Date   Thu, 7 Jun 2012 16:01:22 +0100

Perhaps I am missing something here.

When I have the following dates in Stata:

var1
01/xx/2001
xx/01/2001
01/01/xxxx

and use the code

g dx_clean = subinstr(var1, "xx", "01", 1)

I get:

var1	dx_clean
01/xx/2001	01/01/2001
xx/01/2001	01/01/2001
01/01/xxxx	01/01/01xx

The problem seems that both the month gets imputed and also the first part of the missing year.

So I still prefer Nicks original example.

Best wishes

Tim