RE: st: RE: keep only one observation

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: keep only one observation
Date   Wed, 6 Jun 2012 12:54:01 +0100

-mark- was added in version 4. That was a lucky guess.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: 06 June 2012 02:17
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: RE: keep only one observation

I see!

-mark-'s been around for a long while, but not always. I'd guess
wildly it was introduced around version 4. Need to check on old
manuals.

It goes in [P] partly to reduce the pressure on [R], or so I guess.

Using -mark- interactively is perfectly good style. See also

SJ-7-2  dm0030  . . . . . . . . . .  Stata tip 44: Get a handle on your sample
        . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  B. Jann
        Q2/07   SJ 7(2):266--267                                 (no commands)
        tip on how to keep track of the observations that make
        up your estimation sample

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 1:47 AM, Sarah Edgington <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sorry that wasn't entirely clear.
> My intent was to have a flag for the observations that will be kept so that
> the data can be visually inspected to see that the right observations have
> been selected.  It doesn't actually drop the unwanted observations, though.
> For that you'd need to -keep if keep==1-.
>
> As an aside, has -mark- always been programming syntax?  I've long used it
> for creating dichotomous variables even when not defining a program.  I
> imagine I picked up the habit from someone's example code back when I was
> learning Stata (I think I started with version 7).  So I was a little
> surprised when I looked at the documentation recently and noticed that it's
> in the programming manual and not the base reference.  I guess the more
> standard way to make that sort of indicator would be - gen keep=(seq==max) -
> Using -mark- is going to be a hard habit to break, though.  (Note there's
> probably also a stylistic argument to be made for not using names like keep
> (or drop) when flagging observations to keep (or drop) to avoid confusion).

Nick Cox