Re: st: Mixed model for longitudinal data: Time discrete or continuous?

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Mixed model for longitudinal data: Time discrete or continuous?
Date   Mon, 4 Jun 2012 10:41:49 -0400

Hi, Abdelouahid.

Using time as a continuous variable assumes that the contribution of
time (adjusting for the contribution of group) is linear.

If you fit the model in which time is categorical, you can then
examine the relation between the coefficients for the four categories
(taking 0 as the coefficient for time = 0) and assess whether the
pattern is linear.  Similarly for the coefficients for the interaction
between group and time.

If the pattern is not linear, adding a quadratic term should not be an
automatic choice.  That is only one pattern of nonlinearity, and it
may not be suitable (or even a reasonable approximation) in your data.

A more-formal approach would ask how much better the categorical-time
model fits than the linear-time model.

David Hoaglin