RE: st: How to assign distribution of one variable to the other variable

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: How to assign distribution of one variable to the other variable
Date   Tue, 29 May 2012 09:49:23 +0100

-invcdf- can be applied to ordered categorical variables. My subsidiary
comment was whether the coarseness of the grouping might mean that you
didn't have much genuine information to work with in the substantive
sense. But that's your call and, on this, you'll presumably be guided by
what other researchers in your discipline think is appropriate.
To take a specific example to illustrate my question: look at the
"Juhn-Murphy-Pierce" (JMP) decomposition which uses this sort of
transformation -- but was developed for variables such as earnings
amounts. (References in the help file to -jmp- by Ben Jann, on SSC.) If
you're trying to do a similar exercise, but with ordered categorical
variables, you may be able to do it (in the sense of implementing it),
but does the interpretation still work well? I don't know; I'm simply
asking.

For more on "relative distribution methods", see also Ben Jann's
presentation at
http://www.stata.com/meeting/germany08/jann_reldist_berlin08.pdf, and
references therein. The -reldist- command that Ben refers to is not
found with a -findit- search, and you might need to contact him directly
if it is of interest. (NB The literature refers to continuous variables,
not ordered categorical.)

Stephen