st: constructing a categorical gini measure

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: constructing a categorical gini measure
Date   Mon, 28 May 2012 09:41:45 +0100

Apparently you would like to measure inequality in "years of education",
but all that is observed is data grouped into categories. And you have
data on counties, not individuals.

On the first issue, you could first convert your categorical variables
to some "years of education" equivalent (your discipline and country
conventions may tell you how to do that).   But you're still then stuck
how to handle the grouping. On this see the discussion last week on the
list, and track back on previous Statalist discussion using Google.

A more fundamental question is: why calculate a Gini from these sorts of
data?

Stephen
------------------
Professor Stephen P. Jenkins <[email protected]>
Department of Social Policy and STICERD
Houghton Street, London WC2A 2AE, UK
Tel: +44(0)20 7955 6527
Changing Fortunes: Income Mobility and Poverty Dynamics in Britain, OUP
2011, http://ukcatalogue.oup.com/product/9780199226436.do
Survival Analysis Using Stata:
http://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/survival-analysis
Downloadable papers and software: http://ideas.repec.org/e/pje7.html