Re: st: Adjusted Standard Error in QIC Program

From   Joerg Luedicke <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Adjusted Standard Error in QIC Program
Date   Fri, 25 May 2012 07:28:56 -0700

The way QIC is defined in Hardin & Hilbe (2003)*, you use the "naive"
variance estimates from a model assuming independent observations and
the robust variance estimates from a model with specified working
correlation. This is what the user-written program -qic- (version
1.1.9, from SSC) is doing, it fits two models and then uses the
variance estimates from both models (plus the quasi-likelihood from
the second model) to calculate the QIC. Thus, the difference in your
results is most likely due to fitting the same model with (via -qic-)
and without robust standard errors, and you should perhaps go with the
robust standard errors.

Have a look at Hardin & Hilbe (2003), p. 139ff. for information about
the QIC, and type in Stata -help vce_option- and follow the link to
the manual for robust variance estimation.

J.

*Hardin JW & Hilbe JM (2003): Generalized Estimating Equations. Boca
Raton, FL: Chapman & Hall/CRC.