Re: st: power repeated measures anova vs mixed models

From   "Airey, David C" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: power repeated measures anova vs mixed models
Date   Thu, 24 May 2012 17:44:49 -0500

.

I'm confused how someone could answer your question without as many qualifications
as assumptions you feel uncomfortable making? The question is sincere. Just trying
to understand. Maybe all those choices in the software are the reality. What effect
did you test? The group x time interaction? You don't say what the hypothesis was.
You say you don't want to assume what you don't know about the covariance structure
or variance or measurement error given the lack of pilot data, but you want to know if the
RM ANOVA is more powerful than the "mixed model". Did you mean -xtmixed-, because
-anova- can certainly do mixed models? You can reproduce the RM ANOVA results
(except t versus z tests for contrasts) by assuming a specific correlation structure,
etc. From my understanding, the split plot with sphericity assumption is a subset of
what xtmixed can do. So I'm assuming you would get the same answer with the same
model, using either -anova- or -xtmixed-, unless you made other assumptions that
made the model different than -anova-. Austin's paper does mention ignoring a level
of the hierarchy, but I doubt that is relevant in this situation which is a designed
experiment.

Cheers,

-Dave