st: power repeated measures anova vs mixed models

From   Ricardo Ovaldia <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: power repeated measures anova vs mixed models
Date   Thu, 24 May 2012 07:13:40 -0700 (PDT)

Dear all,

I have been struggling to find an answer or reference to this problem.

I am planning a longitudinal analysis comparing 3 groups with 6 time points per subject. The design is balance with 65 subjects for group.

Because I do not have preliminary data and do not want to make unrealistic assumptions about the covariate structure and other parameters required to calculate power for mixed models, I decided to use repeated measures ANOVA to estimate the minimum detectable effect size at 80% power.
My questions are, will the mixed model have more power that the repeated measures ANOVA in this case? Are there any references regarding these comparisons?

Thank you,
Ricardo

Ricardo Ovaldia, MS
Statistician