Re: st: limit to number of digits that can be precisely input into a Stata

From   Ronan Conroy <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: limit to number of digits that can be precisely input into a Stata
Date   Tue, 22 May 2012 16:03:51 +0100

On 2012 Beal 15, at 16:16, William Gould, StataCorp LP wrote:

> 9*10^15 would be pronounced as 9 quadrillion here in America
> if we could remember how;  I had to look it up on Wikipedia.
>
> We computer geeks would be more likely to say the number as
> 9 peta-something, as in "Joey has 9 peta-ducks".

For those unfamiliar with orders of magnitude, the Uncyclopedia has this to say:

The metric system gives attractive discounts for orders of magnitude. For example, if you buy an 80 gigabyte iPod, you actually get 74 gigabytes. Different orders of magnitude are indicated using special prefixes. For example:

	• Terapin : 10E12 pins – the size of plugs found on old game consoles, though not the size of any of the sockets
	• Decimal: animal with 10E-1 legs (approximately 10E-0.42 times fewer legs than a bath towel)
	• Centimental: A person with 10E-2 times normal emotional intelligence
	• Nanogoat: an extremely small (10E-9) portion of goat, constituting 10E-11.2 of the Recommended Daily Intake of goat
	• Millitarry: a slight (10E-3) delay
	• Picoboo: a very subtle (10E-12) expression of disapproval
	• Kilowhale: Moby Dick, 10E3 times more deadly than Bambi

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Metric_system#Orders_of_Magnitude

Ronán Conroy
[email protected]
Associate Professor