RE: st: Re: Repeated Measures ANOVA vs. Friedman test

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Re: Repeated Measures ANOVA vs. Friedman test
Date   Tue, 22 May 2012 15:47:49 +0100

I support the general tenor of this thread.

Specifically, -devnplot- (SSC) is, I suggest, likely to be an especially useful plot for this size and kind of data, whether for raw data or for residuals.

Rob Ploutz-Snyder

I have to agree with Joseph's points below.  We (NASA) regularly deal
with small-n given the nature of our research.   We are often looking
for longitudinal effects (ex. measures taken pre-flight, during
flight, and post-landing) and sometimes with independent measures
factors as well.  Thus a mixed-factorial design.  We use ANOVA where
possible, but we also work with -xtmixed-.

I would recommend that you pay close attention to the residuals, as
one overly influential outlier can really impact the model fit, and
thus your inferences.   If you find one or more, it's a difficult call
to know whether you really have an unusual observation or just that
your small-n makes it look as though it is an outlier when it's really
just part of the distribution, and you don't have enough observations
to "see" that.  Either way, you need to look and then deal with the
consequences.