Re: st: mata: minindex vs permutation vector for finding closest values

From   László Sándor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: mata: minindex vs permutation vector for finding closest values
Date   Mon, 14 May 2012 10:54:59 -0400

Thanks, Brendan, indeed this was the route to take.

However, for my purposes, I think I needed a more complicated
convolution of -order- and -invorder- and the permutation vectors they
provide, though I might be missing some potential simplification here.

Basically, I need to lookup the "rank" in the ordering of a vector
(for an application with matching on a single dimension, like the
propensity score), calculate ranks close to that rank, and get back
indices of observations with those ranks. I had a hard time noticing
that I had it backwards with -order- and -invorder-.

Below is a little example. Notice that real applications should
truncate the indices provided to be in the range of possible indices.
Also notice that if you run minindex on the now-selected, short
vector, you'll get back indices relevant to the selected vector, not
the original population, you need to translate those back. Though I
think the last argument that -minindex- returns is good as it is (FYI:
the matrix relevant for ties).

* test
mata:
x = 10*jumble(range(1,10,1))