Re: st: Graph bar with label wtih % symbol at the top of each bar

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Graph bar with label wtih % symbol at the top of each bar
Date   Sun, 13 May 2012 18:16:21 -0400

Nick,

You make a number of interesting points.  I don't have time now to
respond to all of them.

The main idea is to let the bar graph serve its function, showing
relative size, with as little clutter as possible.  If only three
numbers are involved, and they are needed, they can be given in text;
no need for a table.

I had in mind an analysis along the lines of what Ed Tufte did in
discussing the data-ink ratio in The Visual Display of Quantitative
Information (Graphics Press, 1983).  To illustrate that "redundant
data-ink depicts the same number over and over," he used a single
shaded bar with the number 35.9 above it: "The labeled, shaded bar ...
unambiguously locates the altitude in six separate was (any five of
the six can be erased and the sixth will still indicate the height):
as the (1) height of the left line, (2) height of shading, (3) height
of right line, (4) position of top horizontal line, (5) position (not
content) of number at bar's top, and (6) the number itself.  That is
more ways than are needed."

By contemporary standards, Brinton's emphasis on including the
numerical data from which the chart was made would be considered bad
advice.  Graphs with divided bars are usually to be avoided.

John Tukey did indeed mix graphical and numerical elements.  I could
probably find a few examples of graphs that use numbers as plotting
symbols (and others that use short names, such as the months of the
year).  I don't recall any examples of bars with numbers atop them.
As a "semi-graphical display," the stem-and-leaf display is in a
different category.

Ed Tufte acknowledged the inspiration and encouragement of Fred
Mosteller and John Tukey.

David Hoaglin