re: Re: st: stcox after psmatch2

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: Re: st: stcox after psmatch2
Date   Sat, 12 May 2012 11:20:11 -0400

I agree wholeheartedly with Joerg. In fact let me add in a few additional
points:

First, the concept of matching controls to a treated individual indicates
that the treatment effect estimator is that of the treated (what would the
outcomes look like if everyone had the same baseline characteristics as that
of the treatment group). The IPTW is an ATE estimate (ie., characteristics
of the population). This is important to keep in mind since these two
estimators will elicit different results. I strongly recommend giving Kurth
et al. (see reference below) a good read.

Second, if you are indeed doing a 1:1 match, you do not need to go the extra
length of performing generating a pair-count. -psmatch2- (a user written
program found on ssc), provides a weight of 1 for all treated and matched
controls. Type in: tab treatment _weight and you'll see that you have 1:1
matches. You can then use stcox by either using _weight as a weight (thereby
limiting the selection to those matches), or you can limit your data set to
only those matches by typing: keep if _weight==1

I completely agree with Joerg for the need to be thoughtful in choosing a
caliper, common support, etc. These are very elements of the process.

Hopefully our comments will help get you on your way...

Ariel

Kurth T, Walker AM, Glynn RJ, Chan KA, Gaziano JM, Berger K, Robins JM.
Results of multivariable logistic regression, propensity matching,
propensity adjustment, and propensity-based weighting under conditions of
nonuniform effect. Am J Epidemiol. 2006;163(3):262-70.