RE: st: stcox after psmatch2

From   "George Gunapal Pradeep Paul (NHGHQ)" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: stcox after psmatch2
Date   Fri, 11 May 2012 09:35:43 +0000

Thanks Ariel, Steve and Joerg for your suggestions and references. To clarify more,

I am comparing a group of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)patients enrolled in a disease management program and a control group selected from a administrative database. There is an enrolment criteria for enrolling patients into the program, but however not all COPD patients are enrolled.

I sampled control cases from hospital administrative database, i.e. COPD patients who fulfilled the COPD disease management program's enrolment criteria but where not enrolled into the program. Now that I have program patients and controls, I did matching to adjust for the difference in characteristics on who gets enrolled into the program. For eg. If younger, more healthier patients are more often enrolled in the COPD disease management program, then we can expect them to have better outcomes (lower mortality) than the control group.

My hypothesis: No difference is mortality rate (expressed in person years) between the patients enrolled in a COPD program and controls who were not enrolled in the program.

Other things to consider, multiple records per patient and the follow time is different between the program patients and controls.

Steve & Joerg: Since follow up period is different for these two groups, hence i thought of doing cox regression to adjust for the effect of follow up time on mortality on the matched program patients and controls. Kindly let me know your thoughts.

Ariel:
I used the following code for generating pscore and matching

xi:pscore Status age i.gender_coded i.Race_coded i.Hospital_coded i.Patient_class_coded i.Asthma i.copd i.dm i.ht i.Stroke i.chd i.hf i.Dyslipidaemia i.Obesity if PrimaryFirst1==1, pscore(mypscore) blockid(myblock) comsup

xi:psmatch2 Status if PrimaryFirst1==1, pscore(mypscore) outcome(i.Mortality_resp_system) caliper(.001) noreplace neighbor(1)

And after matching, I identified pair count using the following code
gen pair = _id if _treated==0
replace pair = _n1 if _treated==1
bysort pair: egen paircount = count(pair)

I used one matched control per treated, I selected paircount=2 and did stcox regression. Am i doing it the right way?

Thank you for your time and greatly appreciate your help.

Best regards,
Pradeep