Re: st: display identifiers accounting for duplicate obs

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: display identifiers accounting for duplicate obs
Date   Fri, 4 May 2012 22:23:28 +0100

. search rank

would have pointed to -egen- (and much else besides).

Apart from the question of how to calculate ranks in Stata, Tashi left
often the question of how ranks are defined in any case when
duplicates (meaning, ties) are present. The default in Stata uses a
rule that will be familiar to students of rank correlation: ties are
ranked equally and the average rank is preserved. I don't know that
this rule is used anywhere outside statistics.

-egen, rank()- has various options in addition to that default. When
Richard Goldstein and I were writing what were then extensions to
-egen-

STB-52  dm72.1  . . . . . . . . . . . . Alternative ranking procedures: update
        (help altrank if installed) . . . . . . . . N. J. Cox and R. Goldstein
        11/99   p.2; STB Reprints Vol 9, p.51
        incorporated into Stata 7.0 egen rank() function

STB-51  dm72  . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Alternative ranking procedures
        (help altrank, lbleqrnk if installed) . . . N. J. Cox and R. Goldstein
        9/99    pp.5--7; STB Reprints Vol 9, pp.48--51
        incorporated into Stata 7.0 egen rank() function

I spent some time looking for systematic treatments of different
ranking rules in various literatures and was surprised to find
nothing, so the names "field", "track" and "unique" were introduced
faute de mieux. I am still  interested in relevant literature