st: Report number of groups for first-difference regression

From   Ryan Turner <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Report number of groups for first-difference regression
Date   Thu, 3 May 2012 17:40:02 -0400

Hi Statalist,

I have been working with panel data and mostly running e.g. -xtreg y x, fe-, which reports the number of groups in addition to the number of observations.  Number of groups can vary dramatically for regressions on my data set and I have really come to rely on this number.

I am trying to run the equivalent first-difference regressions, e.g. -reg s.y s.x-, which of course does not report groups because it is merely OLS on a field of points (whose values are determined by considering panel relationships (xtset)).

Is there any (easy) way to generate the number of groups being regressed on, and preferably report it in the regression output (or at least, generate it after the fact)?

Any hints appreciated.

Ryan

--
Ryan J. Turner <[email protected]>
Ph.D. Student in Engineering and Public Policy