RE: st: comparing variables across time

From   Navid Asgari <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: comparing variables across time
Date   Mon, 30 Apr 2012 17:58:29 +0800

Thanks Nic,

In fact the values under all values of P1 and P2 that belong to 1995 should be compared with all the values of P1 and P2 in year 1996. In other words two variables of P1 and P2 should be merged. To make this simple, let me rephrase the question:

Year-1995     Year-1996
----------    ---------
A                A
A                A
B                A
D                B
C                H
A                A
A                M
E                C

Now, I want to compare these two columns and to count how many new characters (which are company names in my original dataset) are under Year 1996 that did not exist in Year-1995:

H and M are new characters, so the code should return 2

Note: E is in 1995, but it does not exist in 1996. So it won't be counted

Thanks again!
Navid