Re: st: create unique random number variable

From   Joerg Luedicke <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: create unique random number variable
Date   Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:19:38 -0700

Stas,

Just out of curiosity: could following this approach still be
described as a strictly random draw (of course, 'strictly' in terms of
pseudo-randomness) from a uniform distribution? Because what
essentially happens is that the randomly emerging ties are filled in
with yet another draw from the uniform. As a consequence, the
resulting integers are drawn from a mixture of several or many uniform
distributions. The component probabilities itself then depend on
randomly emerging ties, so it should not make much different in
practice. However, the resulting distribution looks somewhat smoother
than one might expect (due to being a mixture of k uniforms, I
presume). Compare the following histograms before and after the
redraws (for which I modified your code):

//draw from uniform (0,1)
clear
set obs 1000000
set seed 1234
generate uu =runiform()
hist uu, name(unif, replace) bin(1000)

//mapped to integers
clear
set obs 1000000
set seed 1234
generate uu = int(1500000*uniform())
bysort uu: generate byte nonuniq = _n > 1
hist uu, name(g0, replace) bin(1000)

//drawing again in case of ties
sum nonuniq
while r(max) > 0 {
bysort uu: replace uu = int(1500000*uniform()) if _n > 1
bysort uu: replace nonuniq = _n > 1
sum nonuniq, mean
}
hist uu, name(g1, replace) bin(1000)

So I don't know what OP's demands are with regard to 'randomness', but
maybe this could matter in some applications? (Perhaps in rocket
science :)  )

J.