Re: st: xt: unit-specific trends

From   László Sándor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xt: unit-specific trends
Date   Tue, 24 Apr 2012 10:45:41 -0400

Getting back to this: I must thank Bill for his explanation, clear as always.

Yet I want to point out what I learnt from this: All of us (a)do-file
authors should be careful with by-loops. When we use this device to
loop over a few values, there is no problem. Yet if we use it for some
panel-like setting, it can be "treacherous." If there is no way out of
this but Mata, at least we should be aware that commands that like
-egen- should be high on our priority list to rewrite in Mata.

In my experience, people use -egen- to generate (many-many) variables
in a panel, or "worse", leave-out means and alike. There the loops are
definitely on the order of N, which might be a high price in large
panels.

Laszlo