Re: st: proper use of aweight

Subject   Re: st: proper use of aweight
Date   Fri, 20 Apr 2012 11:07:01 -0400

Carlianne Patrick <[email protected]>:
I cannot speak to whether unreferenced "posted codes" (presumably, a
contraction of "posted code snippets" that sounds terrible to native
English speakers who also program, since code is a mass noun here) are
correct in their use, but aweights are of very general use. Their use
gives the same point estimates as other weights, fweights and
pweights, but does not inflate the overall sample size as does the use
of fweights, nor impose robust variance estimation as does the use of
pweights.  If you are unsure about how to do correct inference, in
many cases you may well be better off bootstrapping and using aweights
in each bootstrap resample.  Unless you are matching; the bootstrap is
inappropriate for matching.
See also http://www.stata-journal.com/sjpdf.html?articlenum=st0136_1