Re: st: xt: unit-specific trends

From   László Sándor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xt: unit-specific trends
Date   Thu, 19 Apr 2012 18:35:14 -0400

Thank you, Bill.

Of course it's great to have the correct results from Stata!

I am just a bit surprised that the "if" checks slow down operations
this much. Esp. by-loops. And esp. because -by:- wants to start sorted
anyway, I thought you could be less permitting later on (e.g. maintain
sort order). I would have guessed that the extra cost of not allowing
re-sorting would have justified a dramatic speedup of the -by- which
is pretty commonly used.

But exactly these are the sorts of trade-offs that you are experts in.
I will not second-guess your judgment.

Perhaps the biggest lesson to me was how costly an if-check is in
large datasets. Pretty frightening.

But most basic operations (sorting or checks) must be hitting some
theoretical limits, that's what we can squeeze out of computers.

Thanks!

Laszlo