Re: st: which statistical analysis to use

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: which statistical analysis to use
Date   Thu, 19 Apr 2012 12:27:24 +0100

I think I agree to all. The ranking literature I have seen by the
authors you quoted earlier contains some really cute methods for the
case in which all the ranks are distinct (no ties). Then the ranks are
permutations of the integers 1 up and group theory and goodness knows
what lead to some very smart analyses. Here we are at the opposite
end, in which tieing is massive. I wouldn't expect much from that
direction.

As you say, there are constraints here, so there can only be so many
1s, so many 2s and so forth. That constrains the companies, but it
doesn't constrain the skills except indirectly, as I understand it.