Re: st: use of tempfile

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: use of tempfile
Date   Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:34:47 +0100

It sounds as if you have precisely one data file and you want to
restructure it. The word description "break the data around this
variable state_code" could mean all sorts of different things.

I suspect that you are reinventing -reshape-. That's just a guess.

What is most obviously missing here is a concrete description of the
underlying problem, i.e. a miniature example of the data you have
_and_ a miniature example of the data structure you want. If you do
that, then more experienced users have a better chance of seeing
immediately that you need -reshape-, or -separate-, or you really do
need to do something ad hoc with multiple -save-s and -merge-s.

The fact that you are using -tempfile-seems incidental.

Nick