Re: st: dropping vars from analysis under conditions

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: dropping vars from analysis under conditions
Date   Tue, 17 Apr 2012 11:35:23 +0100

I don't get quite what you want here.

"Too few cases" seems to mean for you "too few observations with value
1", which is not the same.

The "identical model" implies to me the same predictors. So you need
to work out in advance which variables don't satisfy in all possible
combinations. Stata does not to my knowledge have a syntax like the
one you want. There are circumstances in which Stata automatically
omits predictors but that is not what you want.

Expansion by time spent also sounds very dubious. If that means #
observations for # units of time spent, well, the frequency
interpretation depends on units of time being discrete, and on which
units you use, and there is now a cluster structure.

All that said, this identifies variables with at least 15 values of 1
in every distinct -year- of nlswork.dta.

webuse nlswork, clear
findname, all(inlist(@, 0, 1, .))
foreach v in `r(varlist)' {
      bysort year : egen ones = total(`v')
      su ones, meanonly
      if r(min) >= 15 local OK `OK' `v'
      drop ones
}

di "`OK'"

-findname- (SJ, SSC) is used to find the dummies.