Re: st: Harman's single-factor test in Stata

From   John Antonakis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Harman's single-factor test in Stata
Date   Fri, 13 Apr 2012 17:52:47 +0200

Hi Michele:

I would strongly advise you to not conduct such a test--thus, your Stata question is not really of issue.

Common-method variance bias is a kind of omitted variable problem that creates endogeneity. The problem you have is that you don't know how this omitted variable affects the other variables in the model. The Harman approach has been shown to not recover true model parameters:

Richardson, H. A., Simmering, M. J., & Sturman, M. C. (2009). A Tale of Three Perspectives: Examining Post Hoc Statistical Techniques for Detection and Correction of Common Method Variance. Organizational Research Methods, 12(4), 762-800.

Antonakis, J., Bendahan, S., Jacquart, P., & Lalive, R. (2010). On making causal claims: A review and recommendations. The Leadership Quarterly, 21(6), 1086-1120. (this paper also shows how endogeneity creates bias and that only instruments can help you).

Only a design that eliminates common-method variance, or instrumental variables, can save the day. The latter are hard to come by but if you have them then you can purge the model from the endogeneity bias. See also:

Podsakoff, P. M., MacKenzie, S. B., & Podsakoff, N. P. (2012). Sources of Method Bias in Social Science Research and Recommendations on How to Control It. Annual Review of Psychology, 63(1), 539-569.

HTH,
JOhn.

Prof. John Antonakis
Faculty of Business and Economics