Re: st: Suggestion - Citing references from Stata Journal

Subject   Re: st: Suggestion - Citing references from Stata Journal
Date   Thu, 12 Apr 2012 15:23:17 -0500

At 08:21 AM 4/12/2012, Tiago V. Pereira wrote:
There is absolutely no point in adding manually references from the Stata
Journal to reference manager softwares. I won't do it. People won't do it.
I won't pay a lot of money for Web of Science to cite Stata Journal
either.

There have been previous discussions about what should and should not be cited. Personally, I think it might be appropriate to sometimes mention people in the acknowledgements rather than citing them. If the author of a program wants and expects an acknowledgement then the help file for the program can make that clear.

But, of all the arguments against providing citations, the effort involved in typing one up seems the weakest to me. If a program has saved me hours of work, or allowed me to do something I never would have been able to do otherwise, then spending a minute or two on the citation (if that) hardly seems onerous, especially since I can use that citation over and over. And, I certainly wouldn't NOT cite some journal article that I had drawn on just because it was a hassle to type up the citation.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  [email protected]
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam