Re: st: Some basic help on programming

From   Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Some basic help on programming
Date   Thu, 12 Apr 2012 13:56:26 -0400

Prakash,

You want to "merge all the 28 item wise file in stead of merging 10
file separately 18 file separately and then merging these two to get
the final data." There may be a way to do so but it is also possible
to minimize the lines of code by adding another loop. Assume that you
have two datasets, level3_list.dta and level4_list.dta. You can
process both files by creating a loop that refers to the numbers 3 and
4. The converted datasets are subsequently merged.

Friedrich

local levels "3 4"
foreach l of local levels {
  use "level`l'_list.dta", clear
  local vars "item_code asicc_code unit_quantity quantity value"
  levelsof item_code, local(items)
  foreach i of local items {
    preserve
    keep if item_code==`i'