st: about real() function?mistakes happened when transform strings to numeric

From   Nina YIN <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: about real() function?mistakes happened when transform strings to numeric
Date   Tue, 10 Apr 2012 17:27:39 +0200

Dear all,

I am wondering whether you have met such situation:

When I try to transform a string variable into numeric one, I use, for
example, -gen rxndc=real(ndc)
Then I hope that it will change the type of the variable, and after
that, I could merge two datasets using rxndc which is the same type in
both datasets.
The strange thing is that, this command worked well in my laptop,
while in the university server, it failed, the numeric variable rxndc
wasn't consistent with the string one "ndc".
If you have any idea, could you kindly give me any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

--
Best Regards,
Nina YIN