st: estimating svy nbreg with replicate weights

From   "Alison Earle" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: estimating svy nbreg with replicate weights
Date   Mon, 9 Apr 2012 13:50:08 -0400

I seek suggestions for how to successfully estimate nbreg using the svy
command and replicate weights on a dataset (from the CPS) with approximately
38K observations. There are 160 replicate weights, the model has
approximately 30 independent variables, and the dependent variable is a
count with integer values ranging from 0 to 3 with cases somewhat even
distributed across the categories.

When I submit the following code to estimate my model, Stata will hang up
after a few replications and never produce estimates.  I let the program run
over night and only a total of 4 replications were completed.

. svyset [iw=wtsupp], brrweight(repwtp1-repwtp160) vce(brr) fay(0.5)

      iweight: wtsupp
          VCE: brr
          MSE: off
    brrweight: repwtp1 repwtp2 repwtp3 repwtp4 repwtp5 repwtp6 repwtp7
repwtp8 repwtp9 repwtp10 ? repwtp160
          fay: .5
  Single unit: missing
     Strata 1: <one>
         SU 1: <observations>
        FPC 1: <zero>

svy: nbreg numcat metro1 metro3 metro4 region2 region3 region4 union01
occup2 occup3 occup4 occup5 occup6 industry1 industry3 industry4 industry5
industry6 industry7 industry8 ?

BRR replications (160)
----+--- 1 ---+--- 2 ---+--- 3 ---+--- 4 ---+--- 5

This is as far as it gets.

I am using Stata 12.1/SE.  Would Stata MP be able to produce estimates?  Is
there anything else I should do differently to get this model to be
estimated successfully?
Thanks.

Alison

Alison Earle, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist
Institute on Child, Youth and Family Policy
The Heller School for Social Policy
Brandeis University
415 South Street
Waltham, MA