Re: st: Plot means with SD

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Plot means with SD
Date   Wed, 4 Apr 2012 06:53:46 -0400

Patricia,

Stepping back from the programming details, I wonder what the basic
question is.  If the two variables come from the same patients, is
medstable part of durofstay, and are you also looking at a scatterplot
of medstable versus durofstay?

Also, if those variables come from the same patients, and you are
interested in the difference between the variables, it would be
helpful to look at the difference for each patient (i.e., durofstay
MINUS medstable), in order to free the comparison of differences among
patients.

If you had a something that resembles a boxplot, why would you want
mean instead of median and, especially, SD instead of the quartiles?
How skewed are the variables, especially durofstay?

David Hoaglin