Re: st: Logit Model- Controlling for Differences Across Groups (Countries)

From   David Hoaglin <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Logit Model- Controlling for Differences Across Groups (Countries)
Date   Mon, 2 Apr 2012 20:59:36 -0400

Dear Michael,

Thank you for the additional explanation.

The limitation would arise with any regression-like model.  It's
inherent in the data.  At the level of the country, you have only 5
data points.  A facile answer is that, if you want to study the
effects of macro variables (which take the same value for all
individuals in a country), you need more countries.  That may not be a
realistic option, but using a different approach in the modeling will
not circumvent that limitation in the data.  I can understand your
frustration, in view of the likely importance of the various macro
variables, but I do not see a solution other than using one (or
perhaps more) of the macro variables instead of the country dummies
(ordinarily, you would drop all the country dummies).

On another point entirely, do you expect individuals' responses to be
more similar within countries than between countries?  If so, you may
want to consider a hierarchical model (in this instance, a generalized
linear mixed model).  That approach would handle variance among
countries by a random effect (one parameter, the variance of the
random-effect distribution, instead of 4 fixed effects for the
countries), and you might be able to include a macro variable (or
two).  Still, with only 5 countries, the estimate of the variance of
the random-effects distribution will be rather imprecise.

I have no reason to believe that the country dummies are essential to
the model.  From your description, the macro variables seem more
important.  You have enough macro variables, however, that it may not
be easy to associate differences among countries with a particular
macro variable.

Regards,

David