RE: st: Merge Files one to many

From   <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Merge Files one to many
Date   Sun, 1 Apr 2012 09:13:59 -0400

Eric -

Thanks for the reply, yes I am using 12.

Ted

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Eric Booth
Sent: Saturday, March 31, 2012 8:31 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Merge Files one to many

<>

Since there is one principal observation per school & many teachers per
school, you want a many-to-one merge with the teacher dataset in memory
(assuming you've got Stata 12 since you didn't state otherwise --  you want
to use the m:1 merge type).

That is, if you use the teacher dataset (the first dataset) as the master
dataset (in memory) and merge in the principal dataset (the second dataset)
as the 'using' dataset, then you'd run something like:

****
use "teacher.dta", clear

merge m:1  schoolid using "principal.dta"  //include any options here about
updating, replacing, or matching values

sa "combined.dta", replace
*check your merge report or run -tabulate _merge-
****

- Eric
__
Eric A. Booth