st: base alternative in asclogit

From   Maria Ana Vitorino <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: base alternative in asclogit
Date   Wed, 28 Mar 2012 23:09:18 -0400

Dear statalist users,

I'm trying to estimate a conditional logit model using asclogit. In my setting, I have individuals with different choice sets.

This is an example with a structure similar to what I have :

id   rest   dist   choi
1	A	13	0
1	B	14	1
1	C	15	0
2	A	13	0
2	C	5	1
2	D	10	0
2     G      4	0
3     B     5   1
3     D     10   0

where id=individual's id, rest=restaurant chosen, dist=distance from individual i to restaurant j and choi=choice.

Different individuals have different choice sets because otherwise the number of rows in the data would be too large (I have many individuals and restaurants). So, I assume that the choice set of each individual only includes the restaurants within a 20-mile radius from where the individual lives.

The book "Microeconometrics Using Stata" says that "The asclogit command allows the choice set to vary across individuals".