Re: st: Filling in Bar Graphs with different texture/patterns/gradients

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Filling in Bar Graphs with different texture/patterns/gradients
Date   Tue, 27 Mar 2012 09:52:40 +0100

This is an occasionally asked question.

Sergiy Radyakin often explains that you can devise your own textures.
You just need to program them.

But official Stata does not support stripes, whether straight, wavy, or of
some other kind; nor does it support plaid, tartan, stipples, spots,
polka dots,
or other kinds of patterns. The good people at StataCorp read Edward
Tufte's books (references at www.edwardtufte.com), and in particular
his admonitions about Moir\'e
vibration, and resolved not to do that.

HOSS (the Historians of Stata Society) will want to jump in explaining
that that is not quite true Some uneven patterns were supported in
-graph- before version 8, but that won't help you much.

But why do you need this, really? If bars are intelligibly labelled
with text, only senior executives need different patterns too.

Nick