Re: st: find categorical variables

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: find categorical variables
Date   Thu, 22 Mar 2012 09:27:16 +0000

The assumption is fallacious. As one of many counter-examples,
consider a variable that is 50% 0s and 50% 1s. The mean would be 0.5.
The same example shows that the median of integers need not be integer
either; while the mode of integers must be integer, the mode is not
always well defined, at least with the usual naive definitions of
mode. In any case the converse does not follow for any of these
measures, i.e. an integer-valued summary implies very little of
consequence.

The problem is related to that in a concurrent thread, started by Bert Jung in

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2012-03/msg00731.html

and with no closure yet, on distinguishing binary from continuous
variables. The discussion in that thread is broken, so use e.g.

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2012-03/

as a catalogue of contributions.

Stata clearly has no precise notion of categorical variables; it has a
precise notion of factor variables, but nothing makes the use of
factor variables compulsory for what any researcher might call
categorical variables. Categoricity, like beauty, is in the eye of the
beholder.

So, you need a definition, and whatever definition you use will not be
fail-safe, but it is easy enough to find all variables that are
integer-valued. With -findname- (SSC, SJ) you can do this

findname, all(@ == int(@))

(-floor()- or -ceil()- would work fine instead of -int()-). The
criterion for an integer used here is that it rounds to itself.

I also posted yesterday a signal that -distinct- (SSC) has just been
updated in a way that makes it more useful in this territory.

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2012-03/msg00893.html

-distinct- lets you find the number of distinct values. I know that
many users work with categorical variables with many, many categories,
so that need not be part of your criterion.

As in the thread cited above, note also the possibility that
categorical variables are held in string form.

Nick