Re: st: query pooling data on dependent variable logit mnl

From   Christine Zozula <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: query pooling data on dependent variable logit mnl
Date   Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:25:49 -0400

They are mutually exclusive.

So the dependent variable is -- whether or not someone got in trouble.

Then we think that the model might predict differently for someone got
into serious trouble vs someone who got into minor trouble. Minor
trouble and serious trouble are mutually exclusive.

thanks

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Richard Williams
<[email protected]> wrote:
> At 07:59 AM 3/16/2012, Christine Zozula wrote:
>>
>> Hi statalist,
>>
>> Our dependent variable is dichotomous: whether or not someone received
>> a sanction for misconduct. But there are actually two kinds of
>> sanctions (we can call them A and B), and we're interested in knowing
>> whether the same variables predict both sanction A and B in the same
>> way.  In other words, are we justified in combining the two sanction
>> types into a single (logistic) regression, or must we treat them
>> separately in something like a multinomial logit regression? There are
>> no a priori exclusion restrictions that suggest themselves, so what we
>> really want to do is test whether the same set of explanatory
>> variables influence getting sanction A (vs no sanction) in the same
>> way they influence getting sanction B (vs no sanction).  Is there a
>> way to test whether all the coefficients in one panel of a multinomial
>> regression are the same as all the coefficients in another panel?
>

> Are the two sanctions mutually exclusive, or is it possible to receive both?
> Or is it the case that one subgroup can receive A while another subgroup can
> receive B? The structure of your data isn't clear to me.

> OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
> HOME:   (574)289-5227
> EMAIL:  [email protected]
> WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam