RE: st: Panel mixed-effects models

From   "Downey, Patrick" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Panel mixed-effects models
Date   Thu, 8 Mar 2012 13:13:54 -0500

Hi David,

Thanks for your response. As you suggested, I misspoke. I meant that I
expect the individual effects to be correlated with the covariates (X), as
you said, which violates the assumptions required for random individual
effects.

I agree with you that it is a bit odd to have random slopes and fixed
intercepts, but I can't think of anything that would be wrong with it. It
feels strange, but I haven't found any reason why it shouldn't be possible.

-Mitch

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of David Hoaglin
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2012 1:04 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: Panel mixed-effects models

The random-effects model does not assume absence of correlation between
individual effects (e.g., random intercepts) and Y.  Indeed, such effects
are often the main source of the correlation structure for Y.  Did you have
in mind the assumption that the random effects are not correlated with the
covariates (here, X_it)?  It seems a little odd to have random slopes but
fixed intercepts.

David Hoaglin