Re: st:measuring health care needs

From   Joerg Luedicke <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st:measuring health care needs
Date   Wed, 7 Mar 2012 07:15:18 -0800

This seems to be more like a theoretical question. What exactly do you
mean with "health needs"? If it is supposed to measure some kind of
demand for health care then the health care expenditures and/or doctor
and hospital visits etc. themselves are probably the best measures
already: people with higher needs for health care cost more money and
so, expenditures would be a direct measure for these "needs". (Just as
you would look at how many items of product x were sold if you were
interested in the demand for that product.) The 4 measures that you
mention are rather indirect measures for health care demand, and,
moreover, each is picking up quite different stuff. So I don't know
what your more general framework/project/theory and finally your
research question is but if you have health care expenditures and
doctor visits you already have a direct behavioral measure for health
care demand.

J.