Re: st: coding for weighting factor variable -weight-

Subject   Re: st: coding for weighting factor variable -weight-
Date   Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:37:58 -0500

I'm not sure that I understand your question completely,  but I think that you want a weighted average of variables from two observations to be put into a single observation.  If so, -collapse- provides a way.

*************CODE BEGINS*************
sysuse auto, clear
keep in 1/2
drop make
gen part = _n //
label define part 1 "West" 2 "East"
label values part part
list mpg weight length trunk part

gen myweight = 1.23 if part==1
replace myweight= 0.55 if part==2
collapse mpg weight length trunk [pw =myweight]
gen country ="Germany"
list

By the way, "STATA" is not correct spelling of the program we all use, but "Stata" is. See the end of the Statalist FAQ for the reason.

Steve
[email protected]